The Rushton Apartment Building
The Rushton Apartment Building was constructed in 1906 as a four-story apartment building. It featured 35 apartments with a central eating area, as residents took their meals in the lower level dining room. The Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana commissioned Kil Architecture and Planning to assess the condition of the building and provide design schemes for its reuse and restoration. HLFI and a regional developer rehabilitated the structure into 23 studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom senior apartment units. The building now has an elevator and a stair tower to replace the old ﬁre escape in the courtyard.